Tuesday, April 17, 2007

interpretation

Call me a fan, or even a perfectionist, but two years ago when attending Robbie Williams press conference, I couldn't believe that the translator/ interpreter was so bad.
I was taking down notes for a newspaper, and my role was just to listen to his words being translated. But after several mistakes she made, I stopped writing and stared down at her. I mean, you can make a tiny little mistake, but several in a matter of an hour?
Robbie was getting impatient, though he didn't understand a word of what she had translated into Spanish. And the fact that she'd been hired to interpret several tv shows interviews, made me mad. I mean, most probably she was nervous, I got that, but in several shows? Even my sister pointed out all the mistakes she listened to after watching some tv interviews!
Today I found the press conference recording, and believe me, I'll listen to that again soon, just to laugh about the whole thing. I should advise the record company to hire more than a bilingual person when international singers come to visit in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it you are a Robbie Williams fan. I like his music too, especially the older stuff.
When I visited Buenos Aires, 5 years ago, I was actually amazed at how well people speak English.

Orquidea said...

Chitty,
I wouldn't say a fan... it's a big word for me. In fact, I don't have all his cds, and I do prefer his older stuff.

You visited Buenos Aires? Nice! It's easy to live in BA as an English speaker, because everybody speaks almost fluently. And there are bilingual schools, bilingual secretaries, bilingual movies, people try their best when a visitor is around. The problem is when you want to buy things and there's an extra charge for being a visitor!!!