Sunday, September 23, 2007

crypt

Visiting the crypt of the oldest abbey in the country wasn't that nice after all. While I was taking a good look at Virgin Mary statue, a woman approached to me and whispered "You're not allowed in here", "People can't visit the crypt". I thought she was wrong as other people were taking pictures of one of the Saint statues, and pictures with an abbot. I told her that there was no sign saying that the crypt was not supposed to be visited (in fact, there were signs everywhere explaining where the crypt was, as if the crypt was asking to be visited!).

But, why were they taking pictures at Saint images? (I didn't ask, but it seemed my face spoke for me). Well, she said that those people were the relatives of one of the abbots (oh, well, I didn't have any relatives there, but I'm a christian, and I'm supposed to be let in if I'm visiting a Christian church, right?) .
She gave me some time to stay there (no more than five minutes), then asked me to turn off the lights (while other people were coming in). Incredible, uh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the Saint would have to say on that? Kinda flies in the face of all that sainthood stands for.
No kudos to the bishop or his relatives.

Orquidea said...

Hi Chitty, that was the reason why I remained in silence there! (I didn't leave because the lady told me I had to). I was astonished to find people taking pictures at that place! (it was not the Sistine Chapel, after all)!