Wednesday, October 10, 2007

pre-teens

One question: will you give your pre-teen daughter a cell for her birthday? I know technology is part of our lives nowadays. But is it a need in a eleven-year old girl? It's not a matter of being communicated with her family. No, it's just a way to show off. So, again, will youy give her a cell for her birthday? I don't have children, so sometimes I can't understand the dynamics of parent-children relationship. What I know is if a pre-teen spends huge amount of hours messaging with friends, why does it seem a requirement to buy her a cell? If she's at home, she doesn't need one (a computer is more than enough). If she's at school, she doesn't need one.
Is it in some sort of way showing she has certain status? But, the most interesting matter, who's trying to prove this, parents or pre-teens?

3 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Who knows. I remember desperately wanting a pager when I was round about that age because all of my friends had one. Strange.

I wouldn't give my child a cellphone, stupid and just makes them more material than what children seem to be now as it is!

Orquidea said...

Dvine Miss M, I wanted a puppy when I was ten! (I was really naive, right?)

Anonymous said...

And then parents complain that their children are unimaginative, has no sense of responsibility and take them for granted.
What do you do for her next birthday... buy her a car?