Monday, March 05, 2007

girlfriend by correspondence

About a year ago I was with a friend making real stupid things after drinking (what I should say was too much) wine.
We wanted to do something real stupid, but drunk as we were, we couldn't go out. Instead, she came up with the idea that we should search the internet for our ex-boyfriends, and I agreed, wondering if that was something I dared to do. Search engine on, I sat on a side chair, and she was in control of the mouse. I couldn't manage anything, as the wine was taking over my ideas, and a migraine began to affect me. I didn't even feel interested in the matter, but I was a bit curious.
So, picture after picture, there they were, her exs and mine, all of them looking for dates. The pictures were nice, and their introductions too. It was kind of funny to see how their minds worked, how lonely they must have felt to upload their pics to be seen by unknown girls, hoping to find real love out there. I thought they deserved better than that, all of them, for being such nice guys.
My friend giggled with every word she read aloud. Some months later she admitted having phoned the exes to tell them what she had seen. In my case, I never asked a single word about the subject, as it was not my business. If they wanted to bring the subject up, that was a different thing. No judgement was passed. Being single is about taking all the available options, right? And that's what they did, explore their options.
I still think it was the right decision to take, not to get involved, and I hope they found what they've been looking for. Sometimes I wonder if they found true love out there (hope they did), or if they're still searching.

No comments: