Wednesday, March 28, 2007

the matter of the jacket

I'm angry. I still can't believe how fool I am. Nine days ago I bought a jacket to wear while in the mountains. So, I needed one to be warm in cool weather. That was why I chose that one.
Of course Murphy wasn't taking some time off that day, and there were no jackets left in the colour I chose. Up to here, it was a normal day for me, but then the shop seller told me that he could get the jacket right in time that week. I was surprised, and I mean, surprise for good, as it's quite a regular thing not to get what you want in the time you need it (what's customers' service in Argentina? It doesn't even exist!).
More than a week passed by, and I phoned the supervisor of the shop several times to check that the jacket was going to be there right before my trip. And I was given many excuses, being one of them that there was an inventory going on in the factory were jackets were received from England, so they couldn't sell any of them or send them to the shops. Anyway, he reassured me that he would have the jacket soon.
Finally, he phoned me yesterday to confirm that the jacket was in the shop, and he could bring it to my house (+1 pt for being nice). Five minutes before the shop closed, I went there and tried the jacket on. It was ok, it was the right one, and I was happy. Deal closed, matter dismissed.
Today I realized while taking the item off the bag that it's not the colour I've been waiting for more than a week (and have paid for, -10 pts!!!) , and it doesn't have a hood (the other reason why I wanted this jacket). Back again to call the guy, he told me in an casual way that he was pretty sure that this was the jacket I wanted! and that this model didn't have a hood!
Suffice to say, now I don't have time to quarrel (well well well he doesn't have the jacket I chose in the premises, how surprising is that?! That's why I waited so long!), I need to pack my things and go in peace, so he made an offer to me: take the jacket I've got to my trip and the minute I come back, I can take it to the shop to change it for the one I wanted from scratch. But he did warn me about trying not to wear it, if possible... (now it's my fault, right?!).
He doesn't have a clue how clumsy (especially with new jackets) I can be when I'm on holls.
Let's see what happens when I use it, and then return it to the shop (Oh I'm certain I will have the jacket I paid for!) ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not trust the shop owner on bit. If you take the jacket with you on the trip, he may come up with all sorts of new reasons for not exchanging it, especially if you wear and it is damaged/dirtied, etc.
Good luck!

Orquidea said...

Chitty,
I might not use the jacket if the weather is hot out there, but if I'm cold, I'll use it anyway! Let's see what happens when I come back...