Friday, August 24, 2007

strangers

I felt as if talking to a stranger. It never occurred to me that I would feel that way. But I did. I didn't know what to ask, or what not to ask.

I didn't mention personal matters, but of course I didn't ask him about personal matters either. Even though I've known him for years and years, I became impersonal. And small talk didn't help much, not this time. Because small talk took me to other things in the past, but this time I remained in silence, or in other words, there were more gaps in our conversation than holes in Swiss cheese. Definitely, silence turned into awkwardness.

The worst thing is that are a zillion things I'd like to tell and ask, and I just feel I'm not prepared to utter those words. May be, and just may be, I should take some courage next time we meet. Or I should take gallons of coffee at that time (well, courage takes different forms, some people need a glass of wine, I just need caffeine). The good thing is that I never lose my sense of humour.

No comments: