Thursday, February 14, 2008

sonnet in valentine's day

I read it more than ten years ago, when I was in the way to become a translator. It was the first formal approach I had to his work (though I had previously read some of his work). Of course I loved it. Today, I re-read it.
It made me sigh in the same way...

CXVI
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:-
O no! it is an ever fixed-mark
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his hight be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out ev'n to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
William Shakespeare

As I have never left Borges out of my library, there's a quotation about love: “Estar o no estar contigo es la medida de mi tiempo” (oh, the translation? something like "To be or not to be with you is the measure of my time"). Romantic, uh?

No comments: